My Inbox is loaded with thousands of old unread email messages. How can I archive or delete all email received before a specific date?
Log into your Gmail account and follow these steps:
- In the search field enter: before:yyyy/mm/dd with the date desired.
- Click the checkbox to select all email messages
- By default only the first page of messages will be selected, at the top of the message list click Select all messages the match this search
- Click the Archive or Delete button
- The process may take a few minutes depending on the number of messages.
- Archive – removes the messages from the Inbox but does not move them to the Trash and remove them from your account
- Delete – moves the messages to the Trash, and after 30 days they are automatically purged from your account
- If you need to free up space in Gmail quicker than 30 days, you can select Trash from the side menu and select Empty Trash Now at the top.