What do I do if a student can’t find their iPad?
- First, ensure that school administration and your SRO are informed.
- Use Find my iPad to attempt to locate the device. If the device is at a location that is unknown to the user, DO NOT attempt to recover the device without involving your SRO. (Directions for students and parents are linked on your school LTP site.) If Find my iPad is disabled, DTS may be able to use the MDM to locate the device.
- NEW for 2016-2017: For students under the age of 13 who do not have an Apple ID, the LTC, an office or library staff member should call the Help Desk (303-702-7730 x57730) and select Option 4. Provide the student’s name and asset tag number and the technician or help desk person will provide you with a location if the iPad is in the building.
If the iPad is not located using one of the two options above:
- Have your school administration or Missing iPad Designee submit a work ticket using this form. Include as much information as possible. (Note that this is only available via login by a school administrator.)
- In addition to initiating tracking, DTS staff will implement procedures that should render the device unusable and provide onscreen contact information for return of the device to the district.
If I still cannot locate the device, what do I do next?
- If requested by DTS, submit a police report.
- DTS will notify the person submitting the report of the cost to the user and add the iPad replacement cost to the student’s fee tabs in IC. If the user has purchased insurance, the cost will be 50% of the current iPad replacement cost.
- In Destiny, DTS will set the status of the item to lost. It will be transferred out of your inventory. Please do not check the device in.
What do students do in the meantime?
- At the discretion of the school, you may wish to allow the student the use of a loaner device from your spare fleet. Be aware that the time between reporting and resolution may be significant due to the nature of the investigation.
- A fee for a missing iPad will be assigned once the investigation and wait period is complete, typically within one week.
- Until the fee for replacement of the lost or stolen iPad is paid, the student will not have another iPad assigned to them by DTS, the school may assign a loaner to allow for completion of assignments where required.
- These fees will carry across school locations in the district. If a student has an outstanding fee from another school for a lost or stolen iPad, another iPad should not be assigned to a student at the new school until the existing fee is paid.
- If you believe the family requires assistance in paying for the missing device, you may offer service as an option in lieu of payment. Your school can determine the type and amount of service appropriate. A good guideline would be a minimum of 30 hours of service by the student and/or family. A student iPad will be reissued and the missing fee will be considered fulfilled once the school has informed DTS that the service has been completed to satisfaction.
- Families should not submit police reports or insurance claims to their personal insurance, as the district owns the students’ iPads.
How do I communicate with a parent once the investigation is complete?
Here is a sample letter to use:
The district has completed its investigation of your reported loss of your student’s assigned iPad mini. Based on the outcome, we have assigned a fee of $xxx for this loss. You can view this fee in Infinite Campus and can pay this fee in person or in RevTrak. This fee will follow your student until it is paid.
Once this fee is paid, a replacement iPad will be assigned to your student.
What happens if the student has left the district and has not returned the iPad?
Students sometimes forget to turn in their iPad or leave the district unexpectedly. Click here for our process in helping recover the iPad.
Last updated by mccormick_nick on 2016-08-23 07:37:51