How do I submit a work order?
The form for submitting an iPad Work Request can be found at the following St. Vrain Valley School District Technology Services Help Desk Site.
You can check on the status of submitted tickets by using the District Technology Services (DTS) Work Request Lookup.
Student iPad work orders will need to be entered by a staff member, usually the school LTP – Site Coordinator. Upon receiving the work order, DTS will verify whether the student has purchased insurance, as well as whether they have made a claim against insurance this year. This information can be found on the Network Login tab in Infinite Campus (IC).
Some issues may not require a district iPad to be returned to DTS, and may be resolved by the Help Desk or by the school’s LTP – Site Coordinator. These issues may include clearing a forgotten passcode, rejoining the svvsd Wi-Fi network and assistance with settings, setup or app installation.
In general, only hardware-related issues should be submitted to the Mobile Device Hardware team at DTS. If you are not sure, select Onsite Service on the iPad Work Request form or call the Help Desk at 303-702-7730 (x57730).
IMPORTANT: If an iPad repair is hardware-related, it will need to be sent off-site for evaluation and a cost estimate for repair. If a student has insurance, a replacement iPad will be expedited for return. If the student does not have insurance, or if their first insurance incident has been consumed, this process may take two or more weeks.
Note: Before the iPad is sent to DTS, be sure to:
- Check the iPad in from the student in the District Inventory Intake System (DIIS).
- If needed, sign out of the iCloud and reset you screen password to 111111
- Do NOT include charger or cable
- Note: If charger or cable is damaged, the student should purchase a replacement from the school stock
The information on completing these steps will be mailed to the person who submits the work order.
For District iPad Pickup:
- Place the iPad in an envelope
- Print and attach the shipping label to the front
- Store in a secure location for pickup by DTS
For District iPad Hand Delivery:
- Print the shipping label and attach to the iPad
- Deliver the iPad to DTS at 2929 Clover Basin Drive, 2nd floor, Longmont, Colorado, during normal work hours (7:00 AM – 4:00 PM).
- Do NOT deliver iPads to DTS via regular warehouse or school mail delivery pickups
How does DTS determine if a repair fee is required?
Once the iPad is received, DTS will determine if there is a cost for the repair and enter that information into IC/RevTrak. This information will be communicated to the person who submitted the work order so that the parent can be notified of the cost or use of first insurance incident.
If the repair is covered under warranty or is due to normal wear and tear:
- The iPad or a replacement will be returned to the school along with a note letting you know there is no charge to the student
- Note: Remember to notify the parent of the service
If the student has paid for insurance:
- First Instance: The insurance assessment will be changed to first for the student by DTS (on the iPad Management tab in IC)
- The iPad or a replacement will be returned to the person who submitted the work order along with a reminder to notify the parent of the claim
- Second and Third Instance: The insurance assessment will be changed to second for the student by DTS and a fee will be assessed to the student in IC/RevTrak
- The cost of the second use of insurance will be communicated to the person who submitted the work order along with a reminder to notify the parent of the claim and the fee
- Anything after the third use of insurance will be a Full Charge of iPad Replacement.
- The fee will be assessed and entered by DTS in IC/RevTrak.
- The cost of the repair will be communicated to the person who submitted the work order along with a reminder to notify the parent of the claim and the fee
If the student has not paid for insurance:
- A fee will be assessed to the student in IC/RevTrak by DTS
- The cost of the repair will be communicated to the person who submitted the work order along with a reminder to notify the parent of the fee
What happens if a student does not or cannot pay the fee?
No replacement iPad will be issued until a student has paid any outstanding repair fees. Outstanding fees for repair will carry over to the following calendar year and across schools in the district. At the discretion of the school, you may choose to assign a loaner iPad for temporary use as needed.
If a family cannot afford the cost of the repair fee, the school may assign service in lieu of payment with the goal being to reinforce student responsibility for care of the device. Your school can determine the type and amount of service appropriate. A good guideline would be an hour of service for every $10 of fees, with a maximum of 15 hours of service per incident. A student iPad will be reissued and the repair fee will be considered fulfilled once the school has informed DTS that the service has been completed to satisfaction.
Here are examples of forms to use with students who need to be setup on payment plans and/or provide service in lieu of payment:
What do I do when the repaired iPad or a replacement is delivered to the school?
Assist the student in completing the initial setup steps:
- Check the district iPad out to the student in Destiny
- Enroll in the district Mobile Device Management system, Jamf Control
- Set up student email using the Gmail app
- Set a passcode
- Enter Apple ID in Settings
- Enable Find My app
- Contact the parent to make them aware of the replacement so they can reset restrictions if needed
What are the guidelines for the school loaner fleet?
Each school is assigned one loaner iPad for every 125 students. These should be kept in a secure location and be charged for use when needed. Schools will need to use their discretion in determining whether students with a device in for repair should check the loaners in and out daily or be allowed to take them home. When a student is assigned a loaner, be sure to check it out to them in Destiny and check it back in when their iPad is returned to them. Upon return of a loaner, reset the device so that it is ready for the next user.
What are some resources available for student tech teams?
Some schools are leveraging student tech teams and self-help tech areas to provide basic technical support and training resources for students and staff. Below are some links to resources from some of our schools:
Tech Cafe Help Menu – Student self-help technical support resource from Westview Middle School