What does your average day look like? I get up around 5am and start getting ready to head into work / checking my email before I leave home. I am scheduled to work from 6-2:45, but I always look for specific messages in my inbox each morning indicating the status of our systems. I also check our monitoring systems before I leave to make sure there are no critical alerts I need to address before heading into the office. If there are items I need to take care of prior to coming I will login and do what I can to get things back online prior to anyone noticing they were down.
Once I get into the office I typically check things one additional time just to make sure nothing went down in the 30 minute drive to work, and then I get started on the various projects / work tickets we have at any given time. We typically have quite a few projects going on, so we stay quite busy in our office. There are often meetings that are either scheduled or unscheduled that I get pulled into as a result of the various projects we are in the middle of. I am one of a team of three server administrators for the school district and our job is to make sure that the servers (both in the school and data center) are up and running and available for the services they provide. We also maintain our G Suite for Education domain (svvsd.org) and all of the services that it provides such as email, drive, etc.
What are your favorite things about working for St. Vrain? I have been with the district for 19 years now, this is my short list of the things I have enjoyed over those years (in this order).
- The people, I have had the pleasure to work with some amazing individuals over the years. We make the most of our days at our office and everyone makes it a fun place to work.
- I have also really enjoyed having the ability to learn new technologies as they come out. We are encouraged to continue learning new things and pushing forward, which helps not only us, but everyone else around us.
What are your interests or activities outside of St. Vrain?
- My family, I have a wonderful wife and three amazing kids. I enjoy spending time with them, regardless of what it is we are doing.
- I enjoy hiking, though I have not had the opportunity to get out as much as I would like for several years now.
- Technology, I guess I am in the right career because I still enjoy messing with technology outside of work.